I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Coffee boots drawing


This scan's color is a bit off. It's warmer than this, I swear. Too lazy to color correct. Sigh

Happy Birthday. It was Don Shank's birthday (an old man. I'll let him disclose it hisself). Raquel, his beautiful wife (and expecting a little bundle soon), invited a bunch of us over at the Emeryvillle Trader Vic's for some Mai Tai's and good company.

I've been meaning to give the Shanks a gift and this is a good opportunity. I used a gray pastel board for its tooth and then leafed through a design mag for color.



I knew she had to be framed by the chair (value call) and then I got the blue (a Herbert Leupin poster) first. I remember a Van Gogh painting of his mother I saw at the Norton Simon years ago that still haunts me. It was a study in green.

I didn't look the image up, not wanting to get sidetracked but went with the green for her big skirt. All the rest was just feeling it through. It could all have fallen flat but somehow it kept together. I really like how this turned out and I had a good time making it.


You know, I came really close to that green, just from memory. I just looked that image, "Portrait of Mother," up for this post tonight and that green...man, I love how this mystical stuff works.

I handed it to an appreciative birthday celebrant knowing it's going to a good home. Some days a drawing just comes off nice and smooth. Wish I could have more of those.

Shank Pile
World of Kane on Herbert Leupin





Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Diego Burdío Román said...

So beautiful.
I like it.

6:00 AM

 
Blogger Lee-Roy said...

Yeah, this is beautiful! And what a great gift and terrific compliment for his wife.

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

The facial expression seems to be inspired by the Mary Blair. Oddly, I feel Mary's 3 Elephant painting in this drawing. Sadly, the exhibit will be leaving CAM in the end of month.

Don Shank must be happy.

I wish that it was my Birthday.

cK

12:13 AM

 
Blogger Gerald de Dios said...

What a beautiful illustration Ronnie. Thanks for sharing the initial sketch. I love how the dress pattern pops! And color palette works so well.

10:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love her Ronnie! Thank you!

3:38 PM

 
Blogger MANDREWS said...

ya know Ronnie..... my bday is coming up in sept and its a pivitol one. Same as Shanks. heh heh- wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

Mandrews out

7:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home