I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, February 22, 2008

ITH* Creature


Made in Photoshop CS2. Custom brush, color halftone screen. I'm sure I'll find more of the ITH's friends throughout the year. He'll pop into Nina's story for sure.

*Inexplicable Talking Head. I've been seeing this thing in my head for a couple weeks now. I don't know why and ,more curious, don't know why I can't shake my fascination with it. So today I started my day with a short to-do list and put him on it.

I attempted to shape him as best as that nagging mind picture can get me. I don't know if any of you are like this but I can see this drawing, literally, in my head. I've learned over the years that I should shape the actual drawing by keeping my mind's eye on this image and not be distracted by my hand's inclinations.

I think I got it very close to how this fella looks. Feels good to get him out there. I was also musing on a few things overnight and this meandering phrase came around. Sounds like something he would say as he sips his red. Though I'm not sure how he could sip anything, really.

On a side note: Just been through a screening on reels of "UP" and I'm exhausted. I've been making animated feature reels for over thirteen years and it doesn't get easier. The movie's doing quite well and it's one I myself can't wait to see on the screen.

This is my decompression day. And, for those of you who know me, I'm here at work when I could have a day off. Busman's holiday. That and an espresso makes it.

UP (film 2009)




Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Photoshop but only have Ver 5 an dI don't use ir because I have to bring up teh SLOW OS 9 in the Mac. I don't know if they even upgrade from my version. My question is: Is CS worth the money??? Could you have done that with another program?I don't make money with it, so, it happens to be just a hobby I love.

9:58 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

I think I started with Photoshop 4 myself. I was a slow learner but eventually got the hang of it. Is CS worth the money? Well, it's a "keeping up with the Joneses" kinda thing when the company upgrades their tools. Then you're hooked and get used to it. I must say that CS2 is a joy to use.

Otherwise I think I could have done the drawing without Photoshop CS if I had to. Apparently there are alternatives out there (http://tiny.cc/e3Y7q). Even one that offers a version that runs on Classic (http://tiny.cc/G2W9J). Haven't tried any of these so you're on your own there.

I tend to use only a fraction of what Photoshop CS2 can do, so I can see myself adapting to a new, smaller program. Good luck and thanks for posting.

8:44 AM

 
Blogger Chris Bivins said...

Wow really cool line work. The zipatone is a nice touch. Hope to see more posts like this.

-Biv

1:17 PM

 
Blogger Dan szilagyi said...

Always been a fan since i first found your work ronnie! i love your nina work, and its cool to hear you say that you started with Photoshop and are still learning.

I'll be coming back to see more of your stuff!

cheers~

8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started with Ph4 too.. i was happy with the Cs2 version and now I have the CS3 and I not yet use to the new interface design and stuff.
the re-scaling little drawing made with self made brushes looks very interesting.
Btw, nightmarish vision looks better translated in drawing ^_^

4:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Ronnie,

a big fan of your work!! awesome drawings~

Some naive questions about your drawing process.. When you say you see the image in your head.. Do you see it in a certain style also? Do you see all angles of how he looks like?

And how does one start practicing it? Can it be learned or is just talent?

anyway, awesome drawings!

12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home