I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Trader Vic's art



Tiki Art. The Trader Vic's in Emeryville is fun place to celebrate work milestones over a mai-tai--the stirs, mugs and glasses are worth the trip along with the decor. Let's not forget the drinks are neat,too. It's over by the marina so the view of boats and the ocean calling you to some south sea adventure of abandon can seem within your grasp. Surely you deserve to go.



There is a room there that is home to mementos from patrons past. Artists leaving artwork or notes in appreciation of the good times had. This one by Hank Ketcham referring to a time in 1982, when "Vic" was apparently an adherent to Pyramid Power and Mr. Ketchum loved to down gallons of "happy water." All translates to good times, I say.



I have to go back more to snap more pictures of other art there. I can't seem to find the images of previous visits showing, if I remember right, Disney artists drawings from way back.

"Mai Tai, Roa Ae!"

______


Some art found on the net of Trader Vic's.










Trader Vic's
Trader Vic's in Emeryville.





Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a Trader Vic's in Emeryville. Did you leave some art for their wall? I hope so! I'd like to see some Tiki Del Carmen art!
Nancy

9:44 PM

 
Blogger Tony C. said...

They just opened a Vic's in Dallas and I was excited when I could finally pay a visit.

Can you think of a better way to spend an evening than drinking an amazing cocktail from a coconut or human skull whilst surrounded by tiki gods? I think not.

10:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It use to think that the original one was in San Francisco at 20 Cosmo Place which was a crying shame when it closed. But, I was told that the original Trader's Vic was the Emeryville one. You can tell by the huge coral decorations and Tiki art.

But, if I was one of sailors returning from WWII in those Islands with the bare chested babes, I do not think that I would have come back.

cK

10:42 PM

 
Blogger Patrick Morgan said...

Ronnie,

Any chance you want to do a Whaleboy piece for our toy opening at the end of June at Monkey King? Sorry for the short notice. I'd need it in the next couple of weeks. You make all the money if it sells, minus what the store gets. I think your brother might do one too. Hope you are well.

Patrick

3:37 PM

 
Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

I managed to pick up the full-length 'The Book of Tiki' from eBay last year. Fantastic book with lots of great Tiki-inspired art.

Also snagged a signed copy of 'Aloha Shirt: The Spirit of the Islands" which features some beautiful shirt designs.

Having been married in Hawai'i and even before, I've always enjoyed Polynesian culture. I'd love to make it to a Trader Vic's.

And you're art definitely belongs on the wall at one of those places!

10:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home