I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Nina Sleep Pattern



Drawn to sleep. I've been having better sleep of late and counting my blessings. I've been afflicted with a sleep disorder most of my life and when I was a child it used to terrorize me all morning. By sunrise I'd feel rescued. Then I would dread the sun setting knowing that night was coming and it starts over.

This explains why I follow the adventures of a character who shares my malady. I know it so well. But with a good regimen of exercise and focusing on modifying my old stress responses I seem to have gained an upper hand at it, after all these years.

Although I've lived long enough with it to know not to declare a victory outright. I've experienced many lapses in episodes over the years only to see them come back with a vengeance.

Drawing helps. So, here's our girl in a rare nap. She looks so tired and likely fell asleep during the day--messing up a job opportunity. I wonder what she's dreaming right now.




Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris Palmer said...

This is my favorite piece you've ever done. Bar none. It's also a nice personal post. Much appreciated! I can't wait for Paper Biscuit 3 or Swallow 3.

2:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful!!

1:18 AM

 
Blogger monkeyfeather said...

Another stunner Ronnie. Someday I hope to have loose, confident drawings like yours. Until then, I'll just have to put up with my tight, overworked drawings.

john

8:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no sleep is bad for focus. >8-)
but sometimes... it brings a little of unexpected ideas for a art piece.

11:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

I never understood the background of Nina and her dream world with your own personal bouts with sleep disorders. I also use to suffer from terrible insomnia coupled with jet lag during my business traveler days. What saved me ironically was sinus allergies where I can sleep now standing up.

Did you ever visit Stanford University Center for Human Sleep Research? As I understand, it is one of top research institutes specializing in chronic sleep disorders in the world. They can probably help you.
http://med.stanford.edu/school/psychiatry/humansleep/

cK

10:33 PM

 
Blogger Marcia said...

Hi Ronnie, just stumbled across your blog. Your battle with sleep sounds like my battle with depression. Photography has usually been my weapon of choice but now I'm learning to draw. How do I decide between carrying a sketchbook or a camera?

:)

8:01 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Chris--Thanks for the kind words. I've been rather suppressing my Nina drawings. I want the story pages but can only afford the one-offs. I guess it finds a way to manifest. I'm looking forward to Swallow 3 as well. Looks like a great looking book and awesome crowd to be numbered among.

Uwe--back at ya. Your work is amazing.

Monkeyfeather--I wrung my hands for years trying to make this look effortless. It ain't yet. It's gotten somewhere, but still going. Thanks for the compliment, I hope to see more work from you as well.

Yaxin! How are you! Your website is always a source of awesome work. Lack of sleep makes me twitchy. It does lead to unpredictability. Not always bad.

Charles--Thanks for the tip. I may have to visit Stanford for an assessment. Right now they'll find me less than interesting as I will nod off like normal blokes. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Fifi--I think that on some level anxiety and depression might exacerbate my sleep maladies, t hough they might not cause them.

I'm sure we've all had experience with depression and some are like old friends, you like having them around. I'm more than ready to lose those pals and in fact they've not shown up on my doorstep for a while. Drawing and exercise helps.

As for the dilemma of sketchbook or camera--I carry both. One does not interfere with the other. I wish the same for you.

R.

6:33 PM

 
Blogger Matt Jones said...

Gorgeous piece. I got the same sleep troubles but if work like this comes out of it can't be all bad!

6:01 AM

 
Blogger Lucy Makuc said...

excelent work! like you, i've suffered sleep disorder all my life. ill take your advice and start sketching in bed! ;P
You say: "She looks so tired and likely fell asleep during the day--messing up a job opportunity" well, is not it a good reason to be sleeplessness? we all insomniacs worry too way much!!!

11:37 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely & expressive!! beautiful use of texture in the background.

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home