I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Japan 'O6: The Tamori's and Kunitachi



Cleansing Inhale It was raining when we landed and after an eleven hour trip in economy, well, one would need a little break. Our clocks are upside down and as determined as we were not to give in to a nap lest we not adjust to the local time we barely kept each other awake. We were also two hours late to meet the Tamori's, our gracious hosts for the evening and most of the next day. They had arranged for our eventual hotel but for tonight we were staying at their son, Atsushi's, apartment in Kunitachi.

After more train rides and dragging luggage through rush our train stations (feeling like salmon going against the current there) we finally met up with our hosts. Ahhh, it is so good to see Yozo and Mitchiko again. All smiles and hugs. Enrico had introduced me to this family last year on my first visit and even then they already treated me as if I had known them all along.



Well, wouldn't you know it, the rest of the evening was as pleasant and relaxing as one has a right to. Dinner at local Chinese restaurant which seemed to have stayed the hand of time, housing antiques and constructed in old word wood, with food that was a welcome comfort and feast of tastes. The company was great, the mood was calming. Just what a body needs.








There's more to post and pictures, too. But time is scarce right now--as it is we've explored more of Kunitachi with the Tamori's and later had dinner with the Uesugi's. I am writing this on the morning after our second dinner event already, so there is much to catch up with.

So, good to be back.



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you're haveing a great time over there!

3:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ronnie, hope you guys are having fun over there. I so wish I could be in Japan right now..Tell E we said hello!

1:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Tokyo!
Have a good time on Kichijouji.
It will most likely be cold and rainy day but Inokashira Park in winter is so beautiful. :)

5:48 AM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

Great photos...the first one of Enrico in black up against that stark white collum is my favorite :)
Glad you guys made it safely to Japan!

a

9:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are the more intresting places to visit in the city not from a creepy otaku or electronic nerd's view? More from an artist's viewpoint of the city to take pictures or find references for an commerical illustrator/animator art major?

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Kevin--it's the end of our stay and I can say without a doubt that it was an absolute blast!

Ale--Yeah. What he said! You'd love it over here. Italians apparently are all the rave hear. I've seen it first hand happen to one. Heh.

Justin & Emiko! We did have a great time. Can't wait to see you both and give you guys the update. Wish we could have all traveled this time. Next time, eh?

Sora--Kichijouji is wonderful. I love it there. Many restaurants and that lovely park! All the people were so nice. I wish I could more time there.

Amelia--Next Sketchcrawl in Japan we'll peg earlier so people can make plans. A certain girl can have her family vacation in Japan, couldn't she?

Dear Anonymous--if you've never been, then that could be a lot. Kamakura has a lovely temple and giant Buddha that's worth the hike and train trip. Mitaka is a small town where Studio Ghibli is. The museum is located next to a park, so much sketching opportunity. All of these are accessible by train and, if you ever get the jones to see city bustle, Shinjuku and Shibuya well within reach of these locations.

I'm new at this and can only name the places I've been. Have fun!

Thanks all. I've much to catch up on for updates. I hope I can condense it to a few posts. Sugoi!

R.

3:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home