I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Happy Darwin Day


I used above painting, culled from the net, last year for this same occasion. Not a painting of mine. Though I've always wanted to just dedicate a year to paint, out on a lonely outpost where the light is fantastic and subjects abound to render. Sigh

February 12. Charles Darwin. As in "darwinian", referring to natural selection and such. I was busy yesterday and failed to do my annual Darwin day post. We don't do Valentine's day, preferring to have demonstrations of my affection and gratitude to my wife via flowers or gifts at random days throughout the calendar year. Take that, Hallmark! But back to the man of the hour.

Charles Darwin was born in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England, on February 12, 1809, at his family home, the Mount House. He was the fifth of six children of wealthy society doctor Robert Darwin and Susannah Darwin (née Wedgwood).


His work eventually will make dinosaurs very real for little boys wanting to be scientists, and didn't I hear somewhere that Dubya wants to give science a push? Good for you, George. Very intelligent of you to incorporate this design for the future of science in this here country. Heck, we might even import some help.

Bush also has called for an increase in the annual allotment of visas available to highly skilled foreigners, something advocated by Silicon Valley companies but opposed by many U.S. tech workers.

While many H-1B visa holders become permanent U.S. residents, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, said he's considering proposing legislation to either reallocate some existing permanent resident ``green cards'' or add new ones to give preference to ``the best and brightest'' foreigners who want to come to the United States.


See that? Selecting "the best and the brightest." Rather poetic, dontcha think? If ol' Charles Darwin were alive today even he might have received an invite from dear George himself.

Wiki on Charles Darwin





2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Ronnie, looks fantastic!

6:14 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

puneet--Sorry that we're not as responsive right now. Prepping for the trip. Our line into Ghibli tends to go through formal channels as well. We've no short lines of access, as one might suspect. I'd like that, personally. So, we're not any help in that regard. Just like you we're staring at the gates (Ghibli doesn't have any literal gates, mind you) from the outside.

And then, there is the language. Translators of a certain caliber may have to be present if you were lucky enough to have the fates bring you through said gates and process all the artistic, design or practical info you can use.

We commiserate. Being 19 isn't the worst fate in the world and we commend you for keeping on. I'll keep your email just in case we stumble upon other pros from other studios who might be a more accessible resource, though don't count on it too much. Our agenda is quite hectic for this trip. Thanks for writing and good luck on your trip.

Bobby--Now, I didn't think about this, but that isn't my painting. I'm good but I don't have the time to whip out an oil painting these days. Of course I really should place a disclaimer, shouldn't I?

All the same, thanks for attributing it to me. Kinda flattering!

Be well.

R.

12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home