I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Maverix auction time again!


Derek Thompson's plethora o' monsters. No slow button on this guy. I personally want one but will have to wait for the next round.

"Dude, I thought I had that one locked!" I heard this a lot at the end of last year. I was saying it myself. Arrgh! This event is a lot of fun and I'm really sorry I'm going to miss it this year. I donated a little sketch to the venture and hope that a lot of youse guys can make it. Brings out the competitive bear inside these timid artists and art lovers who normally would gently pace through a gallery just whispering, careful not to intrude on other's experiential space. Not here. All's fair in art acquisition. All auction strategies are welcome--you know, running down the clock to put in your winning bid, outright intimidation, shouting matches...Like I said, fun. Mingling and talking about artwork all in the service of a good cause makes for a well-rounded evening, I say. So, gear up and bring yer checkbook.


Pencil and watercolor. A line from a Steely Dan song written at the bottom of the artwork (not shown). What? did you say contest? Name the song a Paper Biscuit character is named after.


MAVERIX STUDIOS 1717 17TH ST, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103

THURSDAY DECEMBER 15TH, 2005.
Doors open at 7:00pm for drinks and the start of the silent auction;
all bidding ends promptly at 10:00pm.

If you have questions or are interested in donating art, money or time to this event, please call MAVERIX STUDIOS (415) 522-1717 for more information.


Maverix blog for more info.

UPDATE: They put up a page of the submitted works so far. Take a gander at these.




8 Comments:

Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

Peg!

a

3:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question is where did the name of "Steely Dan" come from. The hint is from William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch. I guess that I am a really bad boy.

cK

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Amelia gets the prize! That cat with the one horn, like pegs, is the one! Also after a flying mythic horse, Pegasus.

Charles--Well, this is after all a G-rated blog. I'll leave that trivia to the fans of the band.


Thanks for posting!

1:21 AM

 
Blogger Louie del Carmen said...

"...when the shutter falls, you'll see it all, in 3D! It's your favorite foreign movie....It will come back to you!....."

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Paul Tuller said...

Cool to hear what inspired you for the character

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

I don't really deserve the prize...I knew all the Paper Biscuit characters, so I looked up all the Steely Dan songs to see if I recognized any names...Oh man, now I feel like I cheeted...
Actually I always thought it was a party hat that Peg was wearing...but I get it now! :)

a

10:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely!!

5:30 PM

 
Blogger Perry Linton Joseph Osuna said...

I love the design of the girl it's the reason I first notice the book, I hope to see a lot more of your work

7:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home