I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Honoring Joe


Nina in flower print dress. Pencil and watercolor on watercolor paper. Part of the gallery event at Canvas tonight.

Thank you for all the loving words and thoughts on Joe posted on this blog. It's there for his family and friends to visit and I feel privileged to have been of some service in honoring his memory. I didn't get to know him as well as some of my colleagues here at work but still blessed to have spent some time with him and learned a lot even in that short time. The blog post on Joe will move down off the page as new posts are made but please don't let that stop you from accessing that post from the archive links found on the right sidebar.

I've had people ask to know more about Joe, hear more stories about his wit, humor, stories about that giant heart of his, his love for bad movies (I guess he believed good movies you can admire but bad movies can really teach you something), his dark funny side--all that is beyond my latitude or comfort level to provide. Perhaps one day a book will be compiled or a tribute created in one of our movies. Given Joe's enormous contribution to animated films we've loved over the years you can be assured that something will come around to honor his memory for all of us to keep and be constantly inspired by.

This weekend's Sketchcrawl organized by Enrico will be in honor of Dan Lee and Joe Ranft. See post below for details. We'll hike, chat, draw and inspire each other to mark that day with pencil and paper and take on the days that follow knowing we can choose to do what we love and be comfortable with the notion that it will matter.

Be well.







6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tributes and posts to him have been wonderful and touching. Thank you for sharing.

3:44 AM

 
Blogger Kactiguy said...

You make me wish I knew him. Very nice tribute. Lovely watercolor. I really like the dress pattern.

6:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following Pixar ever since A Bug's Life came out. I became very familiar with Joe and his work over the years of my intense following of Pixar. I admire all of his work. Here of his passing hit me in a way that I never knew I could be hit by someone I never even knew. It took me until know to be able to even leave a comment. I want to thank you and Enrico so much for honoring him and giving some of the Pixarians and inside look at Joe. He will always be remembered. That I know for a fact!

10:01 PM

 
Blogger John Nevarez said...

Ronnie-

Thank you so much for creating a window for us all to see and read all the wonderful stories and memories regarding Joe. Very touching, educational and beautiful. He will be greatly missed.

John

10:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for posting some of Joes history. its really great to be able to know about Joe from people who knew him personally.

amazing work Ronnie.
love it.


>oVi

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.erichedman.com/joesong.htm

I wrote a song. It came to me in the shower, as all my songs do. And Ukulele of course....what else. :)

Love and Peace.
Have a beautiful saturday send off. I wish I could be there. I'll lift a glass around 4pm.
Love to all. :)

4:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home