I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Canvas book launch for Dan Lee a wild success!



Emphatic enough for ya? I may be overstating it but I haven't done many gallery openings where I'm involved, so maybe not. Nevertheless, it was a great tribute to Dan. The Canvas was packed! The center gallery had Dan's art up, flanked by his friends' artwork all around the walls of the cafe. People arrived and the buzz was amazing. Terra, the gallery director had speculated that since we all worked with Dan that the rest of the gallery was going to be digital as well. But she was pleasantly surprised that every one of us exhibited personal, practical media artwork. Actual pencil, watercolor, gouache, charcoal...what have you. Friends, colleagues, familiar faces and new faces all mingled around the work and celebrated the one gallery event that Dan didn't have a chance to have while he was with us.



Sunny, Dan's sister spoke to the audience to welcome everyone and thank his friends who made all this possible. I first met Sunny when she spoke at Pixar at Dan's memorial and I was very impressed by her presence and voice, confident, clear and welcoming--obviously used to speaking publicly or leading. This evening she tells the audience the reason the gallery was held at Canvas was because Dan would drive all the way from the East Bay to sit there and draw, "So, if some of you recognize yourself in the book or the framed work, you know why." Even when Dan was pretty sick, and now sporting a disabled sign to hang in his car, he still drove in; enjoying the signal privilege of being able to park behind the cafe and walk in from the back door. In closing she mentioned Joe Ranft's tragic accident knowing that most of the audience have that loss in common with us that night.

My thanks to all who made this possible. Beaming pride to be part of this with you all.

And lastly, to all of you who bought artwork, thanks so much for contributing to Dan's evening and, if I can speak for all of us exhibiting, we're really so very flattered and honored that you shelled out hard-earned cash for the work. I personally have the usual crisis of spirit and direction (maybe out of habit) but this gesture, well, I can live off of this when I get in my gray moods. Our deepest appreciation, folks.


I wish I had taken more pictures, so many people were there. These were the ones that I managed to not botch--low light, medium performance digital camera and walking around completely oblivious to photo ops. Thanks to all who visited, seriously.


The gallery will be up for a month for those of you who wish to see what the hubbub is all about. Go and drop by, say hi to Terra and tell her we sent you. Next post will have Canvas in it as well. We just finished the 4th World Wide Sketchcrawl yesterday, finishing right there at Canvas. I have a report and pictures.

Be well.

___________________

Better pictures and a report of the evening at Enrico's spankin' revampted blog here.

Dan Lee "In Your Face" blog for info on how to get his book here.





4 Comments:

Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

Looks like it was a success Ronnie. I hope you all had fun sharing stories of Dan Lee and his work. I hope to pick up the book when I can.

Though I love Alberta, I do miss being able to attend as many of these creative get togethers as you geniuses have.

9:30 PM

 
Blogger Nick Sung said...

That's awesome, Ronnie.
It sounds like it was the perfect tribute.
Cheers to everyone there!

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Chad,

Yep, these get togethers do liven up the drone of production days. Giving your days up in pursuit of a collaborative venture such as an animated feature must be one of the coolest jobs. But still one is anonymous like so many army ants in the hive--these forays into self-distinguishing events are our only window into having the world revolve around leetol ol' us fer a change. Rank and file grunt by day, indie illustrator racantour by night. Not bad. They can have their Oscar parties and Hollywood player club jaunts.

Nick--Thanks, we had a blast. My kids went, too. That's my son, Geo at the turntables assisting Albert Lozano. It was fun.

R.

6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R,
thanks for posting that, i really wish i could have been there.

>oVi

9:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home