I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Sketchcrawl No.3 is done!



A really good day to be out and about, this last Saturday was. Even better to be spending it drawing with a bunch of friends and new people who're all there to draw and enjoy all that sunshine! Up until Thursday I was crossing me fingers that the weathermen were right about their prognostications about the weekend being a sunny day. They were right on the money. It was beautiful!

I was dropped off by Tess and Gerin (me wife and me daughter) at the Ferry Building in Embarcadero where the drawing was well underway ( I was late, slower on weekends, see). Enrico had a few of the brand-spankin' new Sketchcrawl t-shirts on hand for people to buy (affordable, too. Nice guy) and a few were wearing them already (I had mine on. Orange). After a few words about our day's itinerary we were off.

It's a combination hike, sight seeing, stories and sharing of drawings--as all of the other crawls have been--all in all, stuff I love doing on a perfect day like this. First stop was at the Filbert steps (Link and link). The views going up are amazing. You overload on the choices and you have to settle on promising yourself to comeback another day . Well, a bunch of days really. Aside from the huffing and puffing (I'm out of shape) necessary to march up it was well worth it.



We ended up at Coit Tower to reqroup and then it was lunch time. We all trudged down to Little Italy for some welcome fuel. Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store for the meatball sandwiches for a bunch of us. Yum. After that rather long respite we stepped back out into the sunlight. We couldn't resist the towered neo-Gothic cathedral, Sts. Peter and Paul Church, so we planted ourselves amongst the locals in Washington Square park and drew yon church and a few of the fine citizens sunning themselves there.



After that it was another hike that was a must-do on our list. Ice cream at Ghirardeli Square. Man, there was no end to the stream of people ordering ice cream there. I had the hot fudge sundae, of course. A group of us continued a discussion about Miyazaki movies (there's a retrospective being shown in the city this June of all the notable Ghibli greats. Hurrah!) that started a lunch. And before you know it, it was time to head to the water. At the beach we sketch a little more and met Kathy Ringgold, one of our dearest editors at Pixar. So good to see her there. We all made arrangements to meet at the Gordon Birsch for pint. And we were off again.



A short ride on the F-line and we had a long table at the GB for a round of frosty ones (thanks, Charles) and we commenced the highlight of the end of our fun day--passing around the sketchbooks! Everyone did so much with the day and really awesome good work. But more important, everyone had a great time. All that counts.

Congratulations to all who participated and made this day a success. I really look forward to each Sketchcrawl because it really lifts my spirits up. So, to everyone there this Saturday, thank you so much. I look forward to seeing you all again in the next Crawl. Give yourselves a hand!

Sketchcrawl.com
Sketchcrawl image posts from all over the globe here.




Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Melicrious said...

Sounds like such a great day! I love reading about your sketch crawls and have been trying to get my friends into one in Sydney too. Thanks for sharing :)

3:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such sweet sketches Ronnie ... I can't pick a favorite ... love them all ...
ok, maybe I love the filbert's step with leafy shadows even more than the others ... X)
Thanks for being the partner in crime on this adventure as well R !

Enrico

10:45 AM

 
Blogger RuTemple said...

Thanks for the great times shared - glad to catch up with all of you at GB; my sketches (and a couple of photos along the way) are up at flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/rtds/sets/364716/
enjoy!

-Ruth

11:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ronnie,

Sorry for geeking out so much on Saturday. I'm really not like that, trust me (though I guess when I put it like that it sounds even worse, I know.)
Seeing those sketches again on your post really move me and put a smile on my face. Thanks so much for all the small talk and the deep conversation. All I expected was a hello and a nod of recognition from both you and Enrico, and yet I got a "hang" so to speak. I really admire both your attitudes towards artists in training like myself: you guys just open up and share your ideas sincerely and directly without being preachy or patronizing; and it is that attitude that makes Sketchcrawl so special.
Once again, thank you so much - it was an incredible experience.

RĂ©

PS: my sketches are on Enrico's sketchcrawl forum: http://www.sketchcrawl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1123#1123

5:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful sketches/paintings Ronnie. Jaw is on the floor over here. You should be putting this stuff in galleries.

Very Inspiring.


--Justin

5:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the stairs one. I think it makes the steps look a lot cooler than they were (cooler = temperaturewise). They were pretty cool stairs (awesomenesswise), too.

-Emma

1:42 PM

 
Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

The Filbert Steps watercolor is great Ronnie!

It sounds like once again you guys brought that communal experience back to sketching.

12:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie, it's no surprise that you are extremely busy...you're always working on something, always moving forward with things, I need to adapt to doing that as well.

Those Filbert stairs were "on the money". When I look at that sketch, it brings me back to that exact moment (with all the huff'in and puff'in because I'm so out of shape).

Until, next time...

11:54 AM

 
Anonymous Rylan said...

Well I'm really impressed by the last one......the bell tower with the blue sky around it. I'm still trying to figure out how you did that! I don't even see the outside lines? How do you do something like this?

5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home