I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

We get the leaders we deserve Part Deux



The numbers have spoken. There are more people in this country who want the incumbent back for another term. There.

Not enough people were that displeased with his administration. Oh, they had misgivings or moments when they wince at his singular way of having brain vapor lock, but a good part of the country can overlook that to see that he's just the kind of man they want in office regardless. That is more worrysome than having Dubya again.

A transformation is apparent now, in ways that were not imaginable before, because we have a clear picture of who we are as a nation. Polarized to a clear degree we are faced with a grim future of "Us" and "Them."

Sometimes I would be watching a movie with a group and invariably someone would venture a version of the movie we just saw and I would wonder, "what movie did you see?" The opinion would be valid, as all opinions have a right to be, but I would be perplexed to the point of brain meltdown, "How can you possibly have come to that conclusion?" This is what this election is to me: more than half of the nation had seen Bush--church going, moral, if albeit verbally challenged--lead a proud nation into battle to avenge a wrong and found a bad man across the ocean to deal American justice to. Just like in the movies of old. This is powerful, down home myth-making stuff. Plain spoken and neighborly. Gun-owning but God-fearing. A potent combination that could not be punctured by any arguments that would tarnish that laconic hero visage. Logic or reason hadn't a snowball's chance. WMD's? Oh, well. A bad man is in jail, ain't he? You're safer, right?

John Kerry, though formidable, is not that kind of candidate. He deserved the very people who voted for him. There just wasn't enough of them. He had no hero-myth built into him coming into this election. Oh, he fought in Vietnam, of course. An actual soldier in the field of battle with live bullets and actual enemy combatants. He made the mistake of having trouble with his conscience about a war in Asia. Those little people we were trying to save. Really, we were. He wasn't a soldier all out for an American war. That's bad if you're going to run for the highest office in the land. Oh, he had other flaws, to be sure, but at least his sentences were understandable and he can say, "nuclear."

That's my opinion. Congratulations to the President. I hope he can see that on the other side of his victory are people who disagree with him but still part of his rule.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dean Trippe said...

Ditto on moving forward. I'd really like to see Bush be the president he was in October 2001.

Kerry was a flawed candidate with a poorly run though well-funded campaign. The Dems could've swept with a better campaign, a better candidate.

Anyway, I for one will not buy into the myth of "Us" and "Them" in global terms or just this country. No such thing.

10:50 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

A wish for better candidates or just wish the President was better himself. It's all on the christmas list.

The great divide now seems more vast because of the campaigns. At this point people will have had to step up and be counted along party lines. Likely this will mellow the farther we go into these next four years. But I can't help feeling that there are more people even more staunchly left or right because the two parties seem to have lived up their respective caricatures. Issues that may have caused wavering in the past is now loudly endorsed. I can only hope that this proves to be wrong.

But again, onward.

10:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from Justin aka baldpenguin

Personally, I'm really dissapointed with the election results (can I say that?), but I try to look at it in a postive way. Even though I'm not happy with the Iraq situation, I guess the man who started it gets to finish it and now he has the support of his party with the majority in the Senate. The Elephants now have the power, so let's see what they do with it. No excuses for how it turns out this time, I can only hope it turns out well.

I hope you get the opportunity to visit Japan soon. I've been twice and it was an awesome experience, especially having the opportunity to meet my girlfriend's family (a father and mother who are both doctors, her sister who was in high school at the time, and her grandmother) and having their home to stay in while I was there, I only wish that I could have communicated with them more by knowing the langauge. Being a rather sheltered caucasian american, the experience of living with her family for 3 weeks my first time there really changed who I was and my perspective on life...and it was amazing to get a more "local" type of experience rather than a tourist's one.

I stayed at her family's home in a pretty big city near Tokyo. We took the subways everywhere to places like Shibuya and Harajuku, and I was fortunate enough to go to the top of Mount Fuji, and to visit the cities of Osaka and Kyoto as well. Once I graduate I can't wait to go back there again. Try ordering a pizza while you're there, they have a ton of interesting toppings on them to try...potatoes, mayonaise, corn... most people here wince when I talk about it, but I thought it was really great, regular straight pepporoni seems like the blandest thing in the world to me now.

And speaking of Japan, if there's any way you can post a quicktime clip of you drawing the celebs when you get the footage that would be really cool...just a fan request...sorry for going off of the election topic.

Although, the subject of Japan for me personally is a little relovant to what you were talking about concerning the polarized pespectives of people in this country, because I might have easily (especially during this time of war) been a part of that giant sea of red that was seen on the election result maps, if I hadn't had that experience of staying and living in another country for that breif period in my life.

2:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, its mind boggling how blind people can be.. and what is it that blinds them? Elitists can never and will never rally support or understanding. That is the large problem with Liberals. Trying to forcably change the minds of the people of America with a condescending and self righteous attitude will not pull people together, but will divide them indefinately. Will Liberal Democrats ever gain the support of the majority? Definately not by name calling, or demonizing those who do not think the same way they do. And definately not by calling them "Walmart Voters".

4:34 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Penguin,

Thanks for the insight. This is the exact sentiment I had posted at the Drawing board about how each side tend to demonize each other and the garish caricatures that results take hold--and we actually believe these to be true now. Having some distance from home does give one a good dose of perspective. There really is no need to label and take sides from that distance. I am looking forward hearing from groups who are into making that great divide be less so in the coming years.

I am also currently crossing my fingers that a tentative plan to go to Japan pulls through. If I'm lucky I could be there in about a month. Thanks again for the post.

Ronnie

8:33 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

To Anonymous,

I agree, the extremes from both sides will take pot shots at the other and make those claims, no matter how outlandish or outright disrespectful, be the only way their side will view the other. Thanks for offering this insight. Liivng in California means that I can have conversations with people who will tend to have the same values as I do. Different points of view are rarer. I can imagine that the same would be case in whatever state would be California's polar opposite. I know that there are people who I respect and whose opinions I value who voted for the very things that I voted against. We might not agree but I don't devolve to name-calling. I know this person. Face to face and with respect--discouse is healthy, name calling is not.

Thanks for your post.

Ronnie

8:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Ronnie!

sorry to hear about the political woes. Up here in canada we all screemed at the tv when we saw what happened on nov 02. Kind of like watching the home team loose to the worst team in the league just because... well because of a lot of things. anyways hope everything turns out for the best. I for one am grabbing the first ticket i can to the other side of the planet. Hopefully to japan to teach english or some form of it. Best of luck with your Nihon adventure as well.

Cheers

-Paul
www.roadragebunny.com

10:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its sad (crazy) when the same American newspapers that attack America's own President, later lament over a dead terrorist in the headlines.

And with a neighboring "friend" like Canada, who needs enemies. Yeeesh.

I do have to admit, that hearing about Canadians screaming in disapointment over the election, reminds me of the same reaction we heard from terrorist groups in the Middle East.

8:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrorist? Oh please. No malice intended but last I checked, having a different opinion was far from a terrorist action. In-fact understanding opinions different from ones own might actually help us both during our stay on this little planet.

-Paul

12:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

Please post a new topic like the wonderful and dynamic Marc Andrews, head of story of the Incredibles or other "off the beaten path" topics that you find like miner of hidden gems. The election is over. Bush won. I think that it is time for everyone to move on.

cK

5:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home